The launch event for the Tesla Model 3 is going on as I type, and there’s already been 125,000 orders for the car.
Elon Musk claims his ‘electric car for the masses’ will be the best car in the world at its price point of US$35,000, even without any options. The base model will do 0-100km/h in less than 6 seconds, with versions that go “much faster.” Range will be at least 215 miles, but Tesla hopes to exceed those numbers in the final car. In addition to these Model 3 details, Elon committed Tesla to doubling the number of public superchargers from 3600 to 7200.
The information we have so far:
- Base model will do 0-60 in under 6, with versions that go much much faster.
- Base will be at least 215 miles per charge, and Elon said that “these are minimum numbers, we hope to exceed them”.
- All model 3s will have autopilot hardware.
- Like the model S, it will have front and rear trunks.
- All Model 3s will come with supercharging standard.
- The roof area is “one continuous pane of glass”.
- Deliveries will begin at the end of next year, and start at $35,000.
WIRED has a great live feed going on if you’re keen to learn more.
Source: Tech Crunch