Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly has said he is considering extending the laptop ban to passenger cabins of all international flights to and from the United States.
Speaking to Fox News Sunday over the weekend, Mr Kelly replied he “might” significantly expand the ban when asked whether he would consider prohibiting laptops on all international flights into and out of the US.
This move would dramatically expand the current ban announced in March, that affects about 50 flights per day from 10 cities, mostly in the Middle East. The current ban was put in place because of concerns about terrorist attacks.
Earlier this month, there were reports that the Trump administration would broaden the ban to include planes from the European Union, affecting trans-Atlantic routes that carry as many as 65 million people a year.
US officials have said that initial ban was not based on any specific threat but on longstanding concerns about extremists targeting jetliners.
“There’s a real threat,” Mr Kelly said, adding that terrorists are “obsessed” with the idea of downing a plane in flight, “particularly if it’s a US carrier, particularly if it’s full of mostly US folks. It’s real.”
The airline laptop ban prevents travellers from bringing laptops, tablets, noise cancelling headphones and certain other devices on board with them in their carry-on bags. All electronics bigger than a smartphone must be checked in.