My final thought when recommending American Express cards has always been, choose a card that suits your needs – maximise your points haul for particular spending habits. My American Express Velocity Platinum card earns 2.5 Velocity points per dollar spent with Virgin, who I book all my domestic travel through, so it makes sense for me to hold it.
Two American Express cards I’m guilty of overlooking for benefits in the past are those offered in partnership with David Jones. I think a lot of males disregard the David Jones cards because they only associate their benefits with shopping, and while it does have a lot of David Jones perks, there’s an additional feature I find very attractive, a great earn rate on supermarket and petrol purchases, with both cards offering a huge 3 Rewards points per $1 spent!
In the past, I’ve spoken about dreaming up business ventures that run purely to earn points to fund travel and the David Jones cards definitely prompt such thoughts. If you are someone who spends their life on the road and expenses petrol or runs a business with multiple motor vehicles, machinery or vessels, these cards are going to bolster your points haul significantly. Likewise, if you’re spending a fortune a week feeding the family or run a food or alcohol-related business and constantly find yourself at supermarkets.
Then, of course, there are the David Jones exclusive card member benefits which include bonus points earn in store, gift wrapping and delivery, alterations, interest-free terms, event invites and food hall bonuses. New cardholders can also choose between earning Memberships Rewards points or Qantas Frequent Flyer points. The Platinum Card also provides the holder with two passes to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport each year.
David Jones are currently offering their best-ever bonus points offer on both their cards when you apply before August 31st, with no cap or expiry on bonus points.
Here are the highlights of the David Jones American Express Platinum Card:
- Receive 40,000 Membership Rewards points or 30,000 Qantas Points when you apply, are approved and spend outside of David Jones three times within the first month of becoming a Card Member.
- Earn 4 Reward Points per $1 spent at David Jones.
- Earn 3 Reward Points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations.
- Choose either Membership Rewards or Qantas Frequent Flyer as your rewards program.
- Enjoy complimentary access up to two entries per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport.
- Complimentary Travel insurance when travel is booked on your card.
- Buyer’s Advantage (extended warranty).
- Up to 4 Supplementary Cards for no extra fee.
- Exclusive Card Member benefits at David Jones.
- A 20.74% p.a. interest rate and $295 annual fee.
You can read the full list of benefits and apply here.
The standard David Jones American Express Card has a smaller introductory bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points or 15,000 Qantas Points, and a more affordable annual fee of $99. However, it holds the same earn rate at petrol stations and supermarkets which means it may be the sensible choice for those who aren’t as fussed with the additional perks. You can check out the full list of benefits and apply here.
Let’s put this into perspective. If you spend $400 a week feeding a family of five and another $100 on petrol for two cars, and make those payments on either of these cards, you’ll earn 84,000 rewards points in a calendar year. 80,000 will get from Sydney to Tokyo in Business Class.
Capitalising on such earn rates with an appropriate credit card is one of life’s wonderful hacks, getting you out of the office and onto an aeroplane before you know it!
Check out my guide on Maximising Work Expenses to Earn Points or my Best Ways to Spend 1 Million American Express Points.