Updated: Nov 15, 2018
The launch of the American Express Platinum Card in steel caused an undeniable frenzy when it kicked off earlier this year but with a $100,000 required salary, it’s not exactly accessible. Thankfully, the folks at American Express have come to the party for those with an annual income of $65,000 or more announcing their best deal of the year on the American Express Explorer card that includes a reduced minimum spend.
The relaunched American Express Explorer card comes with a 100,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points offer and a brand new hotel benefit, as well as $400 Travel Credit per annum, lounge passes, smartphone screen insurance and a great 0% p.a. balance transfer option, for an annual fee of just $395.
It is, however, important to note that this card enrols holders in the American Express Gateway program, not the Ascent program like the more expensive Platinum Card. The main difference is that the points on offer will transfer to partners at a lower rate of 1:0.75, so for example, 100,000 points will amount to 75,000 Singapore Krisflyer miles for example, not too far off a trip with Singapore in Business Class on the new A380! It’s important to note however, these rates are set to change on April 15, 2019. Please click here for further detail.
Still, this offer is mighty appealing with no points cap on the Explorer Card. It earns up to 2 Membership points per $1 spent, regardless of monthly spend which can be transferred to your choice of 8 airline partners.
Let’s have a look at the highlights:
- Receive 100,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online and spend $1,500 on your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders.
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- NEW! The Hotel Collection Benefit with hotel credit of up to US$75 for qualifying dining, spa and resort activities.*
- Earn up to 2 Membership Reward Points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 airline partner programs.
- Smartphone Screen Insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs to your Smartphone when you pay for your phone or contract with your American Express Explorer® Credit Card.
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies.
*The American Express Explorer Card now also features a benefit with The Hotel Collection which includes hundreds of curated properties from trusted brands like Hyatt and Hilton Hotels. Enjoy exceptional value such as a US$75 credit and room upgrades (when available), when you book two consecutive nights stay or more at one of these properties with your American Express Explorer Card.
For more information on the American Express Explorer card, and to receive the 100k Membership Rewards Bonus Points, you must apply online by 7 Jan 2019, be approved, and spend $1,500 within 3 months.
Remember, point redemption rates will change as of 15 April 2019. Please click here for further detail.
If you’re a dedicated Qantas or Virgin Frequent flyer why not check out our guides below:
American Express Qantas Ultimate Card – 55k Sign On Bonus
American Express Velocity Platinum Card – 50k Sign On Bonus